Monday, February 6, 2012

Documentary | 180° South




Netflix has a great selection of documentaries to choose from and I have been watching quite a few lately.  180° South popped up in my suggestions and it piqued my curiosity.  This 2010 documentary film follows Jeff Johnson as he retraces the 1968 journey of Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins to Patagonia. 





 Yvon and Doug formed the companies Patagonia & NorthFace years ago from their love of climbing and surfing.  But now they live in Patagonia and are using their fortunes protecting the land there.  Things happen to Jeff along the way as he prepares for the climb of his lifetime on the mountain, Cerro Corcovado.





This film made me think a bit more about how my spending and consumption of everyday materials can be affecting another country and person's way off life.  It made me want to simplify my life in ways and conjured up more dreams of traveling, humanitarian, and conservation work.
If you enjoy travel, self journeys and have a love of nature try this film out.

No comments: