I have been wanting to reupholster this chair since the moment I inherited it from my brother! It was an old Olive Garden chair that needed an update to fit better style-wise in my space.
The whole project only took about 3 hours to complete from start to finish.
First I took the chair apart, removed the mesh covering and old plastic leather part by popping the staples out. This was the most time consuming part of the whole process!
I chose a soft yellow sweater I found at a second hand store for the new covering. I cut it open along the seams to create large open pieces. I then used the chair pieces as a template to cut out the sweater.
I slowly stretched the sweater, the original foam and restapled starting on one side of the chair seat using a staple gun. Then I rotated and stapled the opposite side trying to
keep the tension even. I repeated for both sides of the chair back.
I then trimmed the excess and reattached the mesh covering to neaten it all up.
I spray painted the wood using Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Satin Heirloom White. It took about two cans to get the coverage over the dark wood. After it dried, I screwed the pieces back together and 'Viola!'... an updated and upcycled chair for my desk!